Requirements For Liver Transplant
Liver the largest gland performs several complex functions in our body like a breakdown of nutrients, making proteins and bile, fight infections and remove toxins. But when the liver gets affected due to some kind of diseases that cause a liver failure then a liver transplant surgery would be needed. In liver transplant surgery affected or diseased liver replace with the healthy and new liver. The patient should go for transplant only if the following conditions are present:
– Irreversible hepatic diseases
– Chronic Hepatitis
– Alcoholic Cirrhosis:
– Metabolic Diseases,
– Fulminate Acute Hepatic Necrosis
– Primary Hepatic Tumours
Liver Transplant surgery in India provides the best healthcare facilities that gather a team of best surgeons or specialist who assesses and choose candidates for transplant. Pre-evaluation of the patient that includes all previous doctor records, images tests like X-rays can be determined.
There are some criteria for a liver transplant. The patient only eligible for a transplant if he meets the following criteria:
– Last-stage liver disease,
– The inadequacy of medical conditions or systemic illness relevant to survival.
– Full understanding of liver transplant procedures.
Patients who undergo alcohol and active drug use, metastatic cancer and having other end-stage medical condition in their history will not eligible for liver transplant.
Liver Donor Requirements
Liver donors are patient’s close friends, relatives, and close acquaintances. Donors should have the compatible blood type, should be healthy enough to donate their organ and having no medical issues like heart diseases, cancer, and liver diseases. The liver donor should be able to donate their liver only in the following conditions:
– He should be an adult between the age of eighteen and sixty.
– Should be patient’s close friends, relatives, and close acquaintances.
– Having compatible blood type
– He should commit to the pre-donation evaluation method and the burden of recovery.
– Should be healthy enough with normal kidney and liver functions and also good health in psychological conditions.
– May not be overweight
– he should be able to stop alcohol and tobacco until fully recovered
If the liver donor is over the age of 50 then they include the following conditions to transplant the liver:
– The body mass index (BMI) should be greater than 28.
– With a past history of substance abuse
There are some cases in which donors are ineligible to donate their organ. This includes donors who:
– People who are under the age of 18.
– Having any kind of heart or lung diseases
– Have a psychiatric illness and not healthy
– Having incompatible blood type
– Are active substance abusers
After liver transplantation, the patient should visit the doctor or physician for a regular checkups for about 1 to 2 times a weeks. So, that doctors are able to recognize the progress in the patients through conducting various tests including a blood test. If there would be any rejection and infection after discharge then doctors tell for re-admission. You should not worry about this it is common within the one year. However, consulting or visiting the doctor after discharge is good for you to get progress details from your doctor.